Easy Breezy Chunky Bun Beanie Crochet Pattern
This chunky bun beanie is based off the Easy Breezy Chunky Beanie, which is my go to hat pattern for babies and a must have for colder climates! Made with Bulky (5) weight yarn, it creates a warm and cozy hat, and works up faster than the medium (4) weight alternative.
Now with a hole in the top, you can fit your messy bun or ponytail through so there’s no choosing between wearing a hat or having your hair up! As someone who ALWAYS has their hair in a bun, you better believe I’ll be wearing this all winter long!
This pattern is beginner friendly and easily adaptable to make it the perfect size for any head! The instructions below are for an Adult Medium and will fit anyone with a head circumference of about 22″. You can find the ad-free, easy to print PDF for all FOUR sizes (Child 3-10 yrs, Teen/Adult Small, Adult Medium, & Adult Large) in my Etsy Shop and on Ravelry!
So grab your hook & your yarn, and let’s get making!
● The pattern is written to create a brim approximately 2-3” tall. To adjust the height of the beanie and the height of the brim, simply make your initial chain longer or shorter.
● The pattern is written to create a hat circumference approximately 4” smaller than the head circumference to make up for stretching. If you would like to make the hat circumference smaller or larger, simply add or subtract rows. Be sure you always end on a Row 4 (the opposite end of the bun hole).
● The CH 1 at the beginning of each row does not count as a stitch throughout the whole pattern. At the end of each row, chain 1 and turn, work the first stitch into the last stitch from the previous row.
● The number in parenthesis at the end of each row represents the total number of stitches to be worked in each row. The SC around the center does not count as a ST.
● Bulky (5) Weight Yarn (I used: Color Made Easy)
Approx. 150 yards / 3 oz
● Hook: 6.50 mm (K)
● Yarn Needle
● Hair Elastic (optional)
Abbreviations (US Terms)
ST – Stitch
SL ST – Slip Stitch
CH – Chain
SC – Single Crochet
HDC – Half Double Crochet
HDC BLO – Half Double Crochet Back Loop Only
A finished stitch will have two loops when looking at it from above. The loop closest to you is the Front Loop and the one furthest away from you is the Back Loop. To work a HDC BLO, work a HDC as normal but work it in the back loop only.)
12 stitches by 7 rows in HDC BLO = 4”by 4” square.
Adjust hook size up or down to meet gauge.
| Sizes |
| Head |
|Hat Height (total length)||Hat Height (with folded brim)|
With Hair Elastic:
Attach yarn to hair elastic with a SL ST.
Move onto Step 2.
Without Hair Elastic:
CH 20and SL ST to the 1st CH to create a ring.
(This will create approximately a 4” wide opening. Chain more or less for a larger or smaller opening). Move onto Step 2.
Row 1: HDC in 2nd CH from hook and HDC in each ST across. SC around the hair elastic/center ring. CH 1 & turn. (30)
Row 2: HDC BLO in each ST across. CH 1 & turn. (30)
Row 3: HDC BLO in each ST across. SC around hair elastic/center ring. CH 1 & turn. (30)
Row 4: HDC BLO in each ST across. CH 1 & turn. (30)
Rows 5-34: Repeat Rows 3 & 4
Fold hat in half. Working only in the front loop from the row you last worked and the beginning CH, SL ST in each ST from the bottom of the hat to the top. SL ST around the hair elastic/center ring and tie off yarn leaving a 6” tail. Weave in your ends, flip hat inside out, and fold up brim.
And you are all done! I hope you enjoyed the pattern for the Easy Breezy Chunky Bun Beanie! Be sure to show off your finished creation on Instagram and don’t forget to tag me!
You are free to sell the items you make with this pattern, and I’d love if you could please link back to this page. You do not have permission to republish or distribute this pattern in any way or claim it as your own. Do not use my photos in your sale listings or for any other purposes. Thank you.