Easy Breezy Chunky Bun Beanie Crochet Pattern
UPDATED 10/09/2020: For the month of October, I’ll be releasing ALL 5 of my Easy Breezy Patterns on my blog for free! Both the bun versions of this collection have already been up on my blog for a year now, but I wanted to update the posts to include all 4 sizes and a video tutorial! Be sure to check back each Friday for a new pattern and video tutorial to make each piece of the Easy Breezy Collection! Check out last weeks pattern: Easy Breezy Bun Beanie!
The Easy Breezy Chunky Bun Beanie is based off the Easy Breezy Chunky Beanie! Made with Bulky (5) weight yarn, it creates a warm and cozy hat, and works up faster than the medium (4) weight alternative.
With a hole on the top, you can fit your messy bun or ponytail through so there’s no choosing between wearing a hat or having your hair up! As someone who ALWAYS has their hair in a bun, I love wearing these in the chilly weather!
Not ready to make just yet?! Pin this pattern for later!
This pattern is beginner friendly and easily adaptable to make it the perfect size for you! The instructions include 4 sizes: Child 3-10 yrs, Teen/Adult Small, Adult Medium, & Adult Large.
Ready to get started? Let’s grab our supplies and let’s get making!
Follow along with the video tutorial on YouTube!
● Instructions are for the smallest size first, followed by the next sizes up in parenthesis.
● The pattern is written to create a brim approximately 2” tall. To adjust the height of the beanie and the height of the brim, simply make your initial chain longer or shorter.
● The pattern is written to create a hat circumference approximately 4” smaller than the head circumference to make up for stretching. If you would like to make the hat circumference smaller or larger, simply add or subtract rows. Be sure you always end on a Row 4 (the opposite end of the bun hole).
● The CH 1 at the beginning of each row and the SC around the loop, do not count as a stitches throughout the whole pattern. Work the first HDC of the row into the last HDC from the previous row.
● The number in parenthesis at the end of each row represents the total number of stitches to be worked in each row. The smallest size will be first, followed by the next sizes up. The SC around the center does not count as a ST.
Abbreviations (US Terms)
ST – Stitch
SL ST – Slip Stitch
CH – Chain
SC – Single Crochet
HDC – Half Double Crochet
HDC BLO – Half Double Crochet Back Loop Only
A finished stitch will have two loops when looking at it from above. The loop closest to you is the Front Loop and the one furthest away from you is the Back Loop. To work a HDC BLO, work a HDC as normal but work it in the back loop only.)
12 stitches by 7 rows in HDC BLO = 4”by 4” square.
Adjust hook size up or down to meet gauge.
|Sizes (In inches)||Head Circumference||Hat Circumference||Hat Height (total length)||Hat Height (w/ folded brim)|
|Child (3-10 Years)||19”-20”||17”||8.5”||6.5”|
|Teen/ Adult Small||21”||18”||9”||7”|
With Hair Elastic:
Attach yarn to hair elastic with a SL ST.
Move onto Step 2.
Without Hair Elastic:
CH 20and SL ST to the 1st CH to create a ring.
(This will create approximately a 4” wide opening. Chain more or less for a larger or smaller opening). Move onto Step 2.
CH 27 (29, 31, 34)
Row 1: HDC in 2nd CH from hook and HDC in each ST across. SC around the hair elastic/center ring. CH 1 & turn. (26, 28, 30, 33)
Row 2: HDC BLO in each ST across. CH 1 & turn. (26, 28, 30, 33)
Row 3: HDC BLO in each ST across. SC around hair elastic/center ring. CH 1 & turn. (26, 28, 30, 33)
Row 4: HDC BLO in each ST across. CH 1 & turn. (26, 28, 30, 33)
Rows 5 – (30, 32, 34, 36): Repeat Rows 3 & 4
Fold hat in half. Working only in the front loop from the row you last worked and the beginning CH, SL ST in each ST from the bottom of the hat to the top. SL ST around the hair elastic/center ring and tie off yarn leaving a 6” tail. Weave in your ends, flip hat inside out, and fold up brim.
And you are all done! I hope you enjoyed the pattern for the Easy Breezy Chunky Bun Beanie! Be sure to show off your finished creation on Instagram and don’t forget to tag me! Come back next Friday for the next Easy Breezy Pattern!
You are free to sell the items you make with this pattern, and I’d love if you could please link back to this page. You do not have permission to republish or distribute this pattern in any way or claim it as your own. Do not use my photos in your sale listings or for any other purposes. Thank you.