Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
I’m taking a favorite family recipe and making it extra chocolatey!
I adapted this recipe from my mom’s Chocolate Chip Banana Muffin recipe. We LOVE that recipe in my house and make them almost weekly! Since we make them so often, we’re looking for something a bit different but just as tasty.
This is a great recipe to use up overripe bananas before they spoil! Instead of throwing them away, put your overripe bananas in the freezer, and simply let them thaw at room temperature for about an hour before using.
This recipe yields 12 muffins and only takes 20 minutes to bake! So let’s grab our ingredients and get baking!
prep time: 10 minutes
bake time: 20 minutes
Ingredients (yields 12 muffins)
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/3 cup White Sugar
- 1/3 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Melted Butter
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 2 Large Bananas
- 1 Large Egg
- 3/4 cup Chocolate Chips (I used semi sweet but you can use whatever kind you like!)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with 12 liners.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Set dry ingredients aside.
- In another bowl mix together both sugars, the melted butter, and milk. Once combined, add the egg, then the banana. Mix only until combined, do not over mix.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and gently stir together. Add chocolate chips and stir until combined.
- Divide mix equally between each muffin cup, fill each about 3/4 of the way.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean.
- Let rest for a few minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
And that’s it! Eat right away or store in an air tight container once cool for about 5 days. Muffins can also be kept in the freezer for about 6 months.
Happy baking friends!